JOB TITLE: Associate Director, Community Relations and Strategic Events
JOB TYPE: Full-time, Exempt
INDUSTRY: Military nonprofit organization (IRS Code 501c3)
LOCATION: Remote Position – Travel will be required
ABOUT THE GREEN BERET FOUNDATION
The Green Beret Foundation (GBF) provides all generations of U.S. Army Special Forces Soldiers and their families with emergency, immediate, and ongoing support. GBF assists over 5,000 Special Forces families each year. Since its inception in 2009, GBF has invested 84%, or 84 cents of every dollar, into its programs and services, which has totaled over $16 million that has directly supported the Regiment and its families. GBF is the only nonprofit solely dedicated to supporting Green Berets and their families that has achieved a 4-Star Rating with Charity Navigator. Also, GBF is the sole special operations nonprofit accredited by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the purpose of preparing, filing, and appealing of disability claims.
The Associate Director, Community Relations and Strategic Events (ADCRSE) will work in partnership with the President and CEO of the Green Beret Foundation and Management Team to enhance and create a sustainable culture of philanthropy. Through the creation of a strategic development plan the ADCRSE will drive meaningful engagements with philanthropists and corporate partners, enhance current third-party fundraising partnerships, develop a new business ventures and events that includes but is not limited to small businesses, corporations, and other MSO related partners. These partnerships will focus on creating the next generation of volunteers, benefactors while also scaling the awareness of the Foundation. They will also spearhead the donor partner engagement strategies related to stewardship, recognition and ongoing cultivation to ensure the Foundation maintains the highest level of donor-centricity.
In addition to partner engagement and development objectives, the ADCRSCE will also serve as the lead for CCV campaigns and other retailer partnerships across the MSO, VSO, and other landscapes with a strong military connection. They will work closely with the Strategic Communications Manager to maintain donor relations, acknowledgement, and engagement as well as leveraging critical donor communications and “mission moment” storytelling opportunities to ensure every opportunity to solidify the financial position of the Foundation is maximized.
The ADCRSE will be responsible for the coordination and execution of GBF sponsored events, while also interfacing with third-party event hosts to ensure the GBF standard of excellence is maintained. They will also coordinate donor stewardship, acknowledgement, and cultivation communication strategies for the Chairman of the Board, President and CEO, and other key GBF team members including themselves to ensure a strong and sustainable culture of philanthropy is established. They will also be responsible for brief development and presentation for each event, and ensuring all key leaders are proactively prepared for success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Fundraising and Cultivation Activities
- Serve as the lead for the forthcoming GBF Global Ambassador Program.
- Coordinate and execute the forthcoming Mobile Expeditionary Support Program.
- Facilitate Mission Moment Programs interfacing with Military Leadership and key stakeholders.
- Identify and leverage unique community events, such as Music Festivals, Rodeos, Fishing Tournaments, etc., and other community aligned concepts to promote GBF awareness and market exposure.
- Assist in the execution of fundraising and stewardship events; maintaining orderly and accurate files of all events, including attendance and recognition; and assists in preparing, mailing, and tracking all correspondence, invitations, solicitations, and acknowledgments related to these events.
- Supports production and distribution of donor newsletters, annual reports, event invitations, and other mailings.
- Maintains third-party events portfolio of $1.5m.
- Ensures proper fulfillment of donor benefits and recognition in support of all fundraising projects, events, or campaigns.
- Works in partnership with the COO to scale and enhance the GBF Online Store, including but not limited to executing new licensing deals/partnerships.
- Assist with the production and implementation of fundraising campaigns including content creation for social media and other fundraising communications and strategies.
- Assist in managing the strategic direction of the GBF website related to Individual Giving and Donor Stewardship.
- Responsible for the oversight of gift processing per IRS guidelines, including database information input, generating and tracking tax-receipts and acknowledgement letters.
- Responsible for maintaining donor, sponsor, and volunteer records.
- Collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer on updating and monitoring the annual development calendar to ensure year-round engagement and stewardship of individual donors, stakeholders, and POCs across the Regiment.
- Works closely with the Accounting Department on bank deposits and account reconciliation.
- Performs data analytics reports for donor activity and performance reporting.
- Volunteer Relation coordination for third-party event fundraising, GBF sponsored events, and other community relations functions.
- Work with individuals who are volunteering to build and sustain successful fundraising programs for GBF.
- Conduct grant and sponsorship research, coordinate meetings and stakeholder discussions to draft, plan, and execute the program opportunities and proposals.
- Design and develop corporate sponsor collateral as needed.
- Fulfill sponsorship recognition and benefits, including communications and collateral.
- Assist with event logistics as requested, including activities such as photography, volunteer management, or communications activities.
- Assist with communications related to sponsor and volunteer marketing and acknowledgement efforts.
- Manage the incoming Community and Development Coordinator.
- 7+ years’ experience in nonprofit development/fundraising.
- Self-starter able to work autonomously and in a team environment.
- Must demonstrate a high degree of confidentiality and discretion.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Event planning experience.
- Aptitude in presentation and public speaking.
- 5 years of leadership experience with a nonprofit organization, preferably within a military family support services environment.
- 3 years of experience in proposal writing for Fundraising Solicitation Strategies.
- Experience using Photoshop and/or Adobe Illustrator or Canva to support Event Based Fundraising or third-party fundraising.
- 5 years of experience using a customer relationship management system, e.g., Salesforce.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Ability to work flexible hours (occasional evening hours).
- Demonstrated understanding of the United States military, ideally U.S. Army Special Forces Regiment and its families.
- Demonstrated proficiency using appropriate etiquette when responding to email and phone.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize effective verbal probing techniques to obtain information.
- Knowledge of social marketing platforms and online marketing channels.
- Skilled in Critical Thinking, judgment, and decision-making.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to interact effectively with diverse individuals and build effective working relationships. Demonstrated emotional intelligence. Ability to respond to sensitive matters with diplomacy and empathy.
- Demonstrated understanding of military culture and veteran issues, the emotional impact of combat, and the challenges faced by the military and veteran communities.
- Strong computer skills. Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, Zoom, and Adobe.
- Accurate data entry and typing proficiency and skills. Demonstrated ability to timely and accurately maintain data in a CRM.
- Good organizational and time management skills. Demonstrated ability to prioritize work.
- Effectively complete assignments and meet deadlines.
- Unequivocal commitment to the highest standards of personal and business ethics and conduct. Mission-driven and guided by core values.
- Bachelor’s degree with 3 years’ experience in nonprofit or offset with 8+ years of for-profit/non-profit management.
- This position may require travel (40%) or as needed but aligned with strategic initiatives and meaningful outcomes.
- View a computer terminal, handwritten notes, and forms with or without correction.
- Hear and listen at normal speaking levels, with or without correction, and to receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Stand or sit, periodically for sustained periods of time.
- Move from one work area to another, often up or down stairs, to accomplish tasks.
The Associate Director, Community Relations and Strategic Events works a 40-hour week. Some evening and weekend hours will be occasionally needed to meet the needs of the Green Beret Foundation Community and the strategic revenue growth plan for the Foundation.
The Green Beret Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes: Medical/Prescription drug, Dental, Vision, a 401(k)-retirement plan, Paid Time Off, Sick Leave, Family Care Leave, Paid Holidays, and Bereavement Leave.
This is an incredible opportunity to be a part of the premier nonprofit organization dedicated to performing critical work in support of the U.S. Army Special Forces Regiment and its families. Please submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 12, 2023.
- Cover Letter.
- Two Professional References.
Green Beret Foundation is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Green Beret Foundation participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Green Beret Foundation is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Green Beret Foundation is a drug-free workplace.