JOB TITLE: Green Beret Foundation Veterans Service Officer
JOB TYPE: Full-time, Exempt
INDUSTRY: Military non-profit organization (IRS Code 501c3)
LOCATION: Greater Fort Lewis, WA Area
ABOUT THE GREEN BERET FOUNDATION
The Green Beret Foundation (GBF) provides all generations of U.S. Army Special Forces Soldiers and their families with emergency, immediate, and ongoing support. GBF assists over 5,000 Special Forces families each year. Since its inception in 2009, GBF has invested 85%, or 85 cents of every dollar, into its programs and services, which has totaled over $17 million that has directly supported the Regiment and its families. GBF is the only nonprofit solely dedicated to supporting Green Berets and their families that has achieved a 4-Star Rating with Charity Navigator. Also, GBF is the sole special operations nonprofit accredited by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the purpose of preparing, filing, and appealing of disability claims.
The professional Veterans Service Officer will have the skills, knowledge and ability to explain Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), state, and county benefit programs, review service medical records, assist in the preparation of claims documents and manage the claims through the adjudication process. Additionally, Service Officers will assist with the appellate process should the veteran be denied benefits to which he or she is entitled.
Due to the unique nature of the position, exceptional aptitude and interpersonal communication skills, coupled with specialized training, are required to successfully perform in these positions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advises and assists veterans and their families with all aspects of the VA, state, and local claims process including appeal procedures. The incumbent must also assist in accessing the VA medical system.
- Reviews military medical records to identify compensable disabilities.
- Advises clients on the compensation process and determines the best course of action based on medical records and client wishes.
- Initiates disability claim filing procedure by completing appropriate forms.
- Initiates appellate action on improperly evaluated claims.
- Case manages each claim advising each client of claims status until claim is properly complete with all legal entitlements awarded.
- Provides advice to, and if requested, representation for service members undergoing medical evaluation boards.
- Advises veterans and their families on state and local benefits and assistance.
- Assists Gold Star & Surviving Families with death benefits.
- Assists veterans with VA medical treatment issues.
- Serves as the GBF representative to the Command Group of the supported Active Duty and National Guard SF units in the region.
- Serves as the conduit for information to and from the GBF to the SF Group COC and Special Forces Association (SFA) Chapter leadership.
- Serves as the GBF’s liaison to the veteran’s service organizations in the region.
- Appears regularly before SFA Chapters to brief members on current information pertaining to veterans’ benefits.
- Speaks to other community organizations at their request.
- Provides information to county media about GBF programs and services.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Ability to work flexible hours (occasional evening hours).
- Demonstrated understanding of GBF programs and services offered to the U.S. Army Special Forces Regiment and its families.
- Demonstrated proficiency using appropriate etiquette when responding to email and phone.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Demonstrated ability to utilize effective verbal probing techniques to obtain information.
- Skilled in Critical Thinking, judgment and decision-making.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to interact effectively with diverse individuals and build effective working relationships. Demonstrated emotional intelligence. Ability to respond to sensitive matters with diplomacy and empathy.
- Demonstrated understanding of military culture and veteran issues, the emotional impact of combat, and the challenges faced by the military and veteran communities.
- Strong computer skills. Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office and GSuite.
- Accurate data entry and typing proficiency and skills. Demonstrated ability to timely and accurately maintain data in SalesForce.
- Good organizational and time management skills. Demonstrated ability to prioritize work effectively. Effectively complete assignments and meet deadlines.
- Unequivocal commitment to the highest standards of personal and business ethics and conduct.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work with.
- 3+ years’ experience in hospitality or healthcare organizations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Self-starter able to work autonomously and in a team environment.
- Must demonstrate a commitment to protecting family and other client confidentiality.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Two years of administrative experience with a non-profit organization or veteran service organization.
- Two years of experience using a customer relationship management system, e.g., Salesforce.
- Knowledge of HIPAA and other laws pertinent to case management.
- Bilingual is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree with three (3) years’ related experience.
- Must attend and pass NACVSO initial Service Officer accreditation exam and yearly continuing education requirements (CEUs).
- View a computer terminal, handwritten notes, and forms with or without correction.
- Hear and listen at normal speaking levels, with or without correction, and to receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Stand or sit, periodically for sustained periods of time.
- Move from one work area to another, often up or down stairs, to accomplish tasks.
- The Veterans Service Officer works a 40-hour week, generally during business hours (Central Standard Time). Some evening and weekend hours might be occasionally needed.
- This position may require travel (30%).
This is an incredible opportunity to be a part of a growing organization that is performing critical work in the special operations non-profit space. Please submit the following materials to email@example.com no later than 20 January 2023:
- Cover Letter.
- Two Professional References.